Re: Mouthpieces - Denis Wick or Vincent Bach ?

On 19 Jun 98 at 18:42, JEREMY P WISE wrote:

> > Hilary Mateer wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > While on the subject of mouthpieces can anyone
> > > recommend one that will
> > > help me to get pedal notes. I am currently using a Dennis
> > > Wick 2L

AT last something I can comment upon !

The 2L should be fine for pedal notes just keep practising them.  One
tip is to put your chin as far forward as you can - it is commonly
known that an undershot jaw produces great pedals - closest I can
think of Is Derek Jackson of Faireys who, whilst not quiet
undershot, was a lantern like jaw and is regarded universally as the
best in the business. (He now plays a VB 18 after years on a Mount
Vernon 24AW)
If you still have problems try a 1L, but by moving to this you start
to lose the ideal depth to width ratio that makes the 2L such a
popular mpc.
I use a VB 24AW.  I moved onto it when the straight 24W
limited the sound I made.  It is the deepest mps that Bach make and
so it's ideal really for making a huge noise and still be able to
pedal when nec.  Simon Greswell at YBS swares by his and he plays BBb
so you can see it is an all round mpc.
Only problem with playing a bigger mpc is the amount of time you need
to be playing it to get it just right.  Many players if they get out
of practise will have to switch to a smaller mpc because of lack of
control on the bigger one.
The size of the mpc is only one variable in the art of pedalling.
Start by getting the lips/jaw in the right place and you should pedal
on anything.
Phil Green
Solo EEb Bass
Fodens (Courtois) Band.

"I'm not a musician, merely an instrumentalist "