Re: Aw jees Norm...

On 20 Jun, Alastair Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Adrian Drover wrote:

> > He classifies the first four as half tube instruments
> > and the last three as whole tube instruments.

> This always seems very artificial to me, anyone should be able to play
> pedals.

Hmmm. It's pretty difficult on a trumpet. Easier on a Cornet. Dead easy on
a Flugel. Don't forget, when Forsyth wrote his "Orchestration", band
instruments were generally smaller in bore size, so maybe it was not that
easy to produce pedals on tenor or baritone either. Even if they were
possible, they would be of poor quality. Even today, an arranger in his
right mind would not write pedals for baritone, but they can be very
useful on euphonium.

> Going on the Berlioz Treatise (way back) his treatment of cornets
> suggests otherwise - he mentions crooks for a cornet down to low C
> (certainly down to Eb), but no overlap with any saxhorn family.

Unless I am mistaken, cornets (whether valveless, with 2 valves or 3) were
in circulation long before Adolphe got the idea of extending the cornet
tone down into the Eb alto and Bb tenor register. Of course, he named
these new instruments after him self, hence "Saxhorn".

> It doesn't help that the high saxhorns are now very rare, I've only heard
> a Bb alto once.

I have never seen a sopranino Eb or soprano Bb saxhorn that is not cornet
shaped. What do these instruments look like, and how does their bore
differ from that of the the cornets?

Thanx for an interesting conversation.

Cheers, Adrian

--