Re: Geographic Breakdown

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Rick L. Brookens wrote:

> Bert Wiley is about the only source for brass band recordings in the
> States.  And yes, we are nearly starving for brass band culture.

You're not looking hard enough! Check out the Great American Brass Band
Festival or Grand Celebration of Brass Bands. GABBF draws 30,000 annualy!
Plus, many of the amatuer bands have large, well-attended concert series.
Eastern Iowa, Triangle Park, Woods Mfg., Brass Band of Columbus, to name a
few.

> Other than a select few, (those belonging to NABBA),  brass bands, BB
> instruments (alto horns, cornets, Eb cornets, Eb tubas), and BB
> literature and recordings, is almost unheard of in the US.

Once again, you're not looking hard enough. I bought Dyke's 'Champions of
Brass' from Best Buy!

> Bleak! (In regard to the overall music scene.)

Blather! Anyone who believes the overall music scene of the brass band is
bleak is doing a great injustice to the many bands that, although not to
the same level of the Grimethorpes, Black Dykes, and Faireys, are doing a
fantastic job of keeping alive and helping expand the U.S. brass band
tradition.

Have you listened to the NABBA Champion bands the past few years? Have you
noticed how high the playing level has gotten? Have you seen the rise in
popularity of bands in their communities during the past few years? If you
had, you woudl definately not say the U.S. scene is bleak. Far from it!

> >Do US bands make CDs?
>
> Brass Band of Battle Creek and River City Brass Band.

And MANY more! There are countless SA Cd's and many from the amature bands
as well. The Brass Band of COlumbus just sent a CD to the UK and recieved
rave reviews!

> >Is the music played by US bands of a similar type and standard to
> >that in the UK? A player with and Australian band commented to me
> >recently that brass music over there all tended to be loud and raucus
> >and quiet melodic playing was almost unknown.
>
> Probably not and he's probably right.
>
> -Rick

I am personally insulted by this comment above. Anyone who would say this
is ignorant of the real state of brass band playing in the US. Sure, not
all the bands are refined to the level of Britain's greats, but you can
find many bands each year at NABBA and other places that play with an
extremely high level of musicianship and "quiet melodic playing". I've
done a little of it myself!

Can you REALLY say that the BBC plays "tends to be loud and raucus" all
the time? What about Illinois Brass Band? Central Ohio? Eastern Iowa? The
All Star Brass and Percussion? (or ANY of the youth bands for that
matter???) Name me a band you've heard that's been in existence for more
than a year or two that can't play with control and meet the extremes of
all dynamic levels whilst maintaining a mostly non-strident sound!

I'm sorry for being so defensive, but when someone writes something this
ignorant about the US brass band scene and something this insulting to the
hundreds of great musicians who inhibit it I can't help but respond this
way. Open your ears and your mind, and maybe you will change your outlook!
I invite my fellow U.S. brassbanders to comment, please!

Regards,
Matt LaFontaine

1995-6 Varsity All Star Brass Band 2nd Euphonium
1996-7 All Star Brass and Percussion 1st Baritone
1997-8 All Star Brass and Percussion Solo Euphonium
1998 NABBA Youth Solo and Youth Ensemble Champion
Currently bandless :(