Re: Mouthpieces - Denis Wick or Vincent Bach ?

A M Moore wrote:

> I am a BBb Bass player in a UK band & I went off Denis Wick mouthpieces
> years ago.
>
> The main problem I found was the plating - sure they helped to produce a
> decent quality sound but my spit/saliva soon destroyed the plating & it
> simply feel off.
>
> I wont be going back onto a Wick unless the quality of plating has got
> better.
>
> Only my opinion of course.

Just out of interest, what are you playing on now?
I moved off the Wick years ago and went ont a Bach 24AW (on BBb) which
was ok albeit a little "wooly" in sound (Bethan would like that) :)
moved on to a Bach 7, (Eb or BBb) which was a nicer sound, but about
four years ago I bought both sizes of the Conn/Helleberg mouthpieces,
which are tremendously flexible, and produce a good, rich "tuba" sound
(Oh, No! Not that thread again!!) My whole bass section have switched to
these and are very happy with them.
Recently, I have been trying a Meinl-Weston "B.Tilz" mouthpiece, which
is designed for a more "German" sound and I'm pretty happy with the
results, whether I use it on Eb, BBb or CC. Good clean articulation,
intonation etc. Which is pretty good for a mouthpiece which was "thrown
in" with the new horn!
I wouldn't mind reading other's opinions, though.
Cheers,
Adrian