Re: Geographic Breakdown

>>Is the music played by US bands of a similar type and standard to
>>that in the UK? A player with and Australian band commented to me
>>recently that brass music over there all tended to be loud and raucus
>>and quiet melodic playing was almost unknown.

This is a generalisation but unfortunately pretty true. Many bands equate
loud and fast with exciting. Sometimes this is true but you must have some
contrast and it often doesn't happen. However I was at the NABBA contest in
Red Wing last year and I heard some great playing. In particular there was
a concert by the Army band which was great. Their solo horn (Dave Krantz I
think) had a massive sound and was a very solid player but I'd already
heard him playing a solo with the sightreading band 2 days before and heard
just how good he was on the quiet slow stuff. So there are brass band
players here, just few and far between.

Paul
Rocky Mountain Brassworks