Re: Saliva (wasMouthpieces - Denis Wick or Vincent Bach ?)

In a message dated 19/6/98 10:52:32 GMT, you write:

<< The quality of plating on Dennis Wick mouthpieces does not seem to have
 improved. I got a new laquer BBb bass in January this year with a Dennis
 Wick mouthpiece. The laquer plating has now almost completely gone on
 the rim and inside. I am relieved that you had the same problem - I
 thought that I had super corrosive saliva. >>

Saliva is slightly acidic.  It has a pH of between 5.4 & 7.5.  The faster the
flow the higher the pH

Saliva is made up of Water, mineral salts, enzyme (salivary amylase), mucus,
Lysozymes, (immunoglobulins, blood clotting factors)

The main function of saliva is to act on starches.  I therefore wonder if the
starch content of the wick mouthpiece (if any) is causing the problem?  I'm
sure someone on the list will know about the constitution of the plating  (any
takers)

John Davis
MD The Riddings Band
Hon Sec number 3 area NABBC