Re: Mahler's 7th.

Ian Wright wrote :

>Several people on this and Tuba and Euph groups have mentioned
>Mahler's 7th Symphony as being a good piece especially for euphonium

I have a recording of Mahler's 7th Symphony played by the Chicago Symphony
Orchestra conducted by Claudio Abbado and the melody in the first movement is
played by a Tenor Horn, not Euphonium.

On checking the score (published by Philharmonia) it lists the instrument as
"Tenor Horn In B" which is probably why some people interpret this as meaning
"Euphonium". There is no mention of a Euphonium in the score.

I only know this (Abaddo) recording of the work, so can't comment on other
conductor's preferences for the instrument, but I believe Mahler was quite
certain that it was a Tenor Horn he wanted for his symphony.

As far as I can remember - I haven't heard the work for a while - he only uses
the instrument in the 1st Movement.

Cheers,
Sandy McAughtrie
Likes Mahler but prefers Vinter