Re: Saliva (wasMouthpieces - Denis Wick or Vincent Bach ?)

-----Original Message-----
From: D4VIS@xxxxxxx <D4VIS@xxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 June 1998 20:33
Subject: Re: Saliva (wasMouthpieces - Denis Wick or Vincent Bach ?)

>Saliva is slightly acidic.  It has a pH of between 5.4 & 7.5.  The faster
the
>flow the higher the pH

Nothing to to with brass bands, but surely saliva is moderately alkaline,
not acidic?  At least it was when I did A level biology.  And just to be
clear, the higher the pH of a solution, the more alkaline it is.  Mind you,
some alkalis can be just as corrosive as acids.

>The main function of saliva is to act on starches.  I therefore wonder if
the
>starch content of the wick mouthpiece (if any) is causing the problem?  I'm
>sure someone on the list will know about the constitution of the plating
(any
>takers)

I know nothing about the constitution of metal plating, except to say that
I'm quite sure that it contains no carbohydrate (and therefore starch)
content at all!

Yours in boffin-like mode

Alec