Re: Mahler's 7th.

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 DLogan1972@xxxxxxx wrote:

> >Several people on this and Tuba and Euph groups have mentioned
> >Mahler's 7th Symphony as being a good piece especially for euphonium
>
> I have a recording of Mahler's 7th Symphony played by the Chicago Symphony
> Orchestra conducted by Claudio Abbado and the melody in the first movement is
> played by a Tenor Horn, not Euphonium.

Diference in terminology again:  in Germany, Baryton = Euphonium,
Tenorhorn = Baritone horn

> On checking the score (published by Philharmonia) it lists the instrument as
> "Tenor Horn In B" which is probably why some people interpret this as meaning
> "Euphonium". There is no mention of a Euphonium in the score.

B means Bb as this is german, so it's definitly not the tenor horn we all
know and love.

> I only know this (Abaddo) recording of the work, so can't comment on other
> conductor's preferences for the instrument, but I believe Mahler was quite
> certain that it was a Tenor Horn he wanted for his symphony.
>
> As far as I can remember - I haven't heard the work for a while - he only uses
> the instrument in the 1st Movement.

Correct.  The first solo is marked 'mit grosser ton' (or similar) and
there is a duet with the bass trombone.  I think using a euphonium is
entirley justified

I am unsubscribing, honest....

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass