Re: Geographic Breakdown

No Dan.... The comment was made about Australian bands.  I was also present
at that Melbourne Staff Band concert. The thing that stands out in my mind
from that concert, was the singing and clowning around which took away from
the brass band music.  Their soloists were not very impressive to say the
least.  Much of the music was trite and corny. Having said that,  they were
technically fine.

I have also attended the last 3 New York Staff Band concerts and was
actually very impressed. I don't know what was so "hard" to listen to.
Maybe you were seated in the wrong place in the hall.

While the NYSB were on tour in Australia playing at a packed out concert,
Roger Trigg, a trombone player with the Melbourne Staff Band must NOT have
felt that the NYSB was too "hard" too listen to either,  because soon after
that concert, he moved to NY and joined the New York Staff Band  on 1st
trombone (2nd chair).  Melbourne was trying to "snag" Vanda Spence, NYSB's
principal trombone on the same trip. She wasn't interested and had already
moved from England and the International Staff Band to play with New York.

Dan, I think you should go listen again.  They rehearse on Wednesday
afternoons.  I'm sure they would welcome you.

Often times I read misleading reports and opinions on this list.  This
surely was one.  Sorry Dan.

Mark Freeh
(NYC)