Re: The Decibel Count/Daft things said by Adjudicators

Hi all

I find this obsession with volume/loudness rather surprising and somewhat
fatuous to say the least. Music making is not about volume it is about
relative dynamics, balance, blend and quality of sound. I have never heard
an Oz or US contesting band live and therefore cannot compare - nor do I
really care who plays louder. I heard TVNZ 2 years ago and they were a
small sounding outfit but with good balance and nohing crude or unpleasant
to listen to.

I have never heard an adjudicator say "the winners are the band that played
the loudest" which is quite amazing considering the many stupid thing that
I have heard them say.Having said that, B and R are incredibly loud. Having
stood in front of them for 18 months I can at least attest to that.

Here's a new topic!!! Stupid things that adjudicators have said.

Here are a few: "So nearly a prize winning performance" - awarded 17th out
of 22.
		       "Percussion messy and inaccurate" the band had no
percussion.
		       "This score says is my road map - it says garage and
you are giving
	     me filling station"
		       "We knew we had a winner after the first 30 bars" 17
minute						   testpiece at
British Open.
			"2nd trombone - if you are going to cue the
baritone parts put your
			  hand over the f......g bell."
Regards

Jeremy