Re: The Decibel Count

Hi all

 > > On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, TiBaR wrote:
 > >

 > > > If you listen to bands from various countries they tend to
 > > > have different styles from a holistic viewpoint. UK
 > > > bands - melodic, quiet, round rich sound.  NZ bands -
 > > > similar but generally louder. AUS bands - louder again.

And I suppose you've heard the best band from each country play
the same music consecutively in the same acoustic...hmmmm...I
thought not.  I'm not so well up as you about US, AUS or NZ bands but
at the European championships (where all the bands do play the same
piece consecutively in the same acoustic) the GB bands generally
have the widest dynamic range.  But why the obsession with loudness
- are you perchance a bass trombonist???

Martin Irwin wrote:

 > which UK bands are you basing this theory on, it sounds like a
 > pile of uninformed  to me.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

 > I challenge anyone on the list to name a NZ or AUS band who can
 > match the loudness of Brighouse & Rastrick (and probably many
 > other UK bands, which I won't bother listing).  B&R band must be
 > one of the loudest bands around  (but still with a controlled huge
 > sound), and I would argue that they are also just about the
 > quietest as well.

I must concur - the B& R performance at the Masters went off the
Richter scale but it always sounded controlled and musical...

 >I doubt NZ or AUS bands come anywhere near, after all the best
 > bands in the world come from Yorkshire (well, apart from YBS!!).

...but I had YBS ahead of them!!!

 >  Martin :-)

David