Re: Wick M/P plating

Andy Moore  -<andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
quoted me:

>I been using the same DW trombone mouthpiece for 6 years now ....... and
it still looks (& feels fine)

and then wrote:

++You appear to be one of the lucky ones by the size of the number of posts to
++the list & private e-mails to me.

Yes, so it would seem %-)

Wonder why therefore I am one of the "unlucky" ones in our band who have
had problems with the silver plating rubbing off a brand new Sovereign
baritone after only 3 months.  It surely CAN'T  be down to levels of
acidity (although the area in question DOES come into contact with my inner
elbow ..... though often via a layer of clothing rather than directly).  If
my "perspiration" (ladies perspire don't you know!) is indeed acidic then
surely my saliva should be similarly so .... and therefore have a similar
effect on my mouthpiece plating.??????

Anybody got any ideas as to how this plating problem has happened other
than my own (as yet unsubstantiated) theory above.  I'd be most interested
to know - meanwhile it's "over to Boosey's" for their comments <grin>
leaving me baritoneless (as opposed to simply toneless)  <ha ha> for a
couple of weeks/months <help!>

A.T.

Angela Tregaskes
P.A. to Professor Trevor G. Smart & Departmental Secretary
Department of Pharmacology & Centre for Toxicology
The School of Pharmacy
University of London
29-39 Brunswick Square
London, WC1N  1AX, U.K.