Re: The Decibel Count

David Lancaster wrote:

>  > I challenge anyone on the list to name a NZ or AUS band who can
>  > match the loudness of Brighouse & Rastrick (and probably many
>  > other UK bands, which I won't bother listing).  B&R band must be
>  > one of the loudest bands around  (but still with a controlled huge
>  > sound), and I would argue that they are also just about the
>  > quietest as well.
>
> I must concur - the B& R performance at the Masters went off the
> Richter scale but it always sounded controlled and musical...
>
>  >I doubt NZ or AUS bands come anywhere near, after all the best
>  > bands in the world come from Yorkshire (well, apart from YBS!!).
>
> ...but I had YBS ahead of them!!!

Fair enough.  It seems that nearly everyone thought YBS should have won,
but what do we care, we won and thats that.  You don't win the Nationals,
European & the Masters in the space of a few months without doing something
right, maybe when YBS win again (??) people on the list will say B&R were
robbed !!  I doubt it.

I knew I would be flamed for my comment about YBS.  As a few people noted,
what actually is wrong with YBS.  Well, not much really, they are a very
good band.  They are obvioulsy rivals to B&R and you can't expect me to say
nice things about them all the time can you !!!!

I will make a couple of observations though, and please feel free to
disagree with me if you like.  I think they are their own worst enemy at
times.  They build themselves up so high (did anyone see the Yorkshire TV
programme about them in the run up to the Europeans, we watched a tape of
it on the B&R coach on the way to the Europeans and laughed all the way
through, it was that sickly) they can be easily knocked down, and they call
themselves the dream team.  Its true, they do have good soloists (who get
around 9k a year for doing it apparently) but they are mostly mercenaries.
 When the money dries up, they'll have half a band.

Another issue for you to flame me on.  They were very lucky to get into the
European contest in the first place.  They got there by coming 2nd to Dyke
at the Nationals.  They acknowledged on the day that they played  and
shouldn't have come second.  So if the correct result had come out, they
wouldn't have been in the Europeans anyway, and couldn't have cried at the
result this year.  Also, I remember people saying that they shouldn't have
won the British Open last time (just like the farce when Marple won it).

Go on then, I've given lots of people an opportunity to flame me.  If I've
missed anyone out, I'll get you next time !!

Martin :-)