Re: Wick plating

Since approximately 1970 I have purchased some 20 Denis Wick trombone and
euphonium mouthpieces. Like many others on the list I have found the Gold
plating quality to be poor.  One contributing factor is that the Gold was
plated directly on the Brass which is considered poor practice.

Even though relatively soft, Gold can be a lasting mouthpiece finish...during
WWII when I was serving in New Guinea, I had a mouthpiece Gold plated in
Melbourne and subsequently played it almost every day for ten years with
no apparent degradation...I still have it and the Gold is fine.

Jim
Renaissance Brass Band of Sun City Arizona