Re: Own choice contests

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lancaster <d.lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 June 1998 18:07
Subject: Re: Own choice contests

  >When I have conducted test pieces in concerts......

David

While I agree with pretty much everything you say on this matter, could I
persuade you (and all other like-minded people) to stop referring to pieces
of music which just happen to have been used, or commissioned as
test-pieces, as test-pieces.  It implies that the work was written primarily
as a test of technique, as opposed to a piece of music for its own sake.  It
is of course conceivable that one or two pieces have in the past been
written predominantly as technical exercises, but this isn't so in the vast
majority of cases.  Many people automatically equate the term 'test-piece'
with 'something unlistenable', or 'something requiring me to concentrate for
more than three minutes'.   Examples of such pieces include, er, The Force
of Destiny Overture, Carnival Overture etc etc etc!!  Surely some mistake?!

Cheers

Alec