Re: Favorite CDs

Depends what you want to listen to (yes, I can use prepositions to end
my sentences with) ... As a novice (for brass band) composer/arranger, I
try to listen to a variety .. old, new, classic, modern, whatever I can
.. so these recordings reflect that approach  ... all to say, what I
consider "best" may not be, by someone else's yardstick .... so, in no
particular order

Brass from the Masters .. Williams Fairey Band .. contains (among
several fine others) Robert Simpson's Energy and Variations by Ralph
Vaughan Williams .. Chandos CHAN4547

The Very Best of Brass Bands ... a collection of stuff recorded by a
collection of bands ... nice cross section of music .. Carleton Sounds
30360 00772

Brassamatazz .. great Jazz, great band, 3 great charts by Mark Freeh
(you see him on the list from time to time .. hi, Mark) ... Brass Band
of Battle Creek BBBC

The Complete Champions .. Black Dyke Mills Band .. includes Vinter's
Salute to Youth, Heaton's Contest Music, McCabe's Cloudcatcher, and
Parks' Royal Parks ... recorded in 1985 (I think) but still excellent
IMHO ... Chandos CHAN 8483

And one from the Great White North, eh?

Northern Delights .. The Hannaford Street Silver Band  ... a collection
of Canadian Music including a band version of the ballet music In the
Land of the Spirits by John Kim Bell, a native of Kahnawake Reserve
(near Montr=E9al), arranged by J Scott Irvine ... Opening Day ODR 9308

Enjoy!

Lloyd