Re: YBS

Martin,
I sat through the whole day at the 1995 Nationals.  IMHO Dyke deserved to win
and YBS deserved to come 2nd.  There were neater performances than YBS', but
not more musical - and that must have been what the three adjudicators were
looking for.  So, so far as getting into the Europeans just because Dyke were
the defending champions, was lucky - true.  But winning it twice on the trot
and beating Dyke, is unlikely to be luck.

For my money, YBS has the best sound in England.  B&R are hot.  And I take
nothing away from them.  But the soloists at YBS are phenominal.  (They don't
get anywhere near 9k a year either!).  Of course those bands on top will always
be knocked.  Expect it Martin!  People will always say that someone was
robbed.  I do agree with you however that it doesn't pay to be too cocky - it
only means you have further to fall.  Most top musicians are very
self-confident.  But once they get cocky they are insufferable.  However, in
the time I played with YBS I didn't think anyone showed themselves to be
cocky.  You couldn't hope to meet a humbler guy than Morgan Griffiths.  Sheona
White is similarly very quiet, almost painfully shy.  When Rupert Trippett was
on top trombone, he also was very humble.  Baldric was 'different' but not
cocky.  Peter Roberts has a track record second to none, so is entitled to
respect.  Ian Porthouse is also painfully shy. A lovely guy. David King however
is an extrovert.  But who can deny his talent?

As for playing only for the money, I admire you guys.  But who can blame top
musicians for going for money if it's available?  If they didn't take, others
soon would.

Regards,
Glenn McGowan