Re: YBS

----------
> From: Glenn McGowan <mcgowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: YBS
> Date: 29 June 1998 03:02
>
> Martin,
> I sat through the whole day at the 1995 Nationals.  IMHO Dyke deserved to
win
> and YBS deserved to come 2nd.  There were neater performances than YBS',
but
> not more musical - and that must have been what the three adjudicators
were
> looking for.  So, so far as getting into the Europeans just because Dyke
were
> the defending champions, was lucky - true.  But winning it twice on the
trot
> and beating Dyke, is unlikely to be luck.

Fair comment.  I didn't hear them at the Nationals, but reports came around
afterwards that they hadn't played too well (I suppose people wrongly think
these days that if you have a few slips you were bad, rather than taking
the musicality into account).  YBS players were rather annoying that day
outside the Queen's Mews pub after the results, because they were singing
'We played shit and we got second, do-da, do-da'.  This irritated bandsmen
from a variety of bands, and they nearly got a battering.  But all credit
to them, they won the Europeans twice as you say.

> For my money, YBS has the best sound in England.  B&R are hot.  And I
take
> nothing away from them.  But the soloists at YBS are phenominal.  (They
don't
> get anywhere near 9k a year either!).

I beg to differ !!

> Of course those bands on top will always
> be knocked.  Expect it Martin!

I do.

> People will always say that someone was
> robbed.  I do agree with you however that it doesn't pay to be too cocky
- it
> only means you have further to fall.  Most top musicians are very
> self-confident.  But once they get cocky they are insufferable.  However,
in
> the time I played with YBS I didn't think anyone showed themselves to be
> cocky.  You couldn't hope to meet a humbler guy than Morgan Griffiths.
Sheona
> White is similarly very quiet, almost painfully shy.  When Rupert
Trippett was
> on top trombone, he also was very humble.  Baldric was 'different' but
not
> cocky.  Peter Roberts has a track record second to none, so is entitled
> respect.  Ian Porthouse is also painfully shy. A lovely guy.

I know most of the people you mentioned, and they are great people as well
as great players.  Baldric IS 'different' although a pretty good player
(who's just walked out of Sellars !!)

> David King however is an extrovert.  But who can deny his talent?

Yes, he's a good dancer !!  There's no denying that the soloists are the
best.  I suppose player for player there isn't a band around who has so
many top soloists.  I would suggest however that our top man Graeme
McCulloch is as good as Ian Porthouse, and our new top trom Jonathan Pippen
is not far behind Nick Hudson.  YBS do have established top soloists, but
there are other players in other bands who are not known yet but are
steadily making a name for themselves.  These are my opinions of course.

> As for playing only for the money, I admire you guys.  But who can blame
top
> musicians for going for money if it's available?  If they didn't take,
others
> soon would.

You're absolutely right.

> Regards,