Re: YBS and Brighouse

Now then:

> Martin Irwin wrote:
>
> > >  > I challenge anyone on the list to name a NZ or AUS band who can
> > >  > match the loudness of Brighouse & Rastrick (and probably many
> > >  > other UK bands, which I won't bother listing).  B&R band must be
> > >  > one of the loudest bands around  (but still with a controlled huge
> > >  > sound), and I would argue that they are also just about the
> > >  > quietest as well.

and I replied:

> > > I must concur - the B& R performance at the Masters went off the
> > > Richter scale but it always sounded controlled and musical...

then Martin controversially conjectured:

> > >  >I doubt NZ or AUS bands come anywhere near, after all the best
> > >  > bands in the world come from Yorkshire (well, apart from YBS!!).

to which I cheekily added:

> > > ...but I had YBS ahead of them!!!

However, Martin retorted:

> > Fair enough.  It seems that nearly everyone thought YBS should have won,
> > but what do we care, we won and thats that.  You don't win the Nationals,
> > European & the Masters in the space of a few months without doing something
> > right, maybe when YBS win again (??) people on the list will say B&R were
> > robbed !!  I doubt it.
> >
> > I knew I would be flamed for my comment about YBS.

Yikes - I praise someone's band and support their comments, telling
the world that I think they played "loud but controlled
and musical" and I'm accused of flaming them!   I hadn't realised
that you were so sensitive...

For the record I think Brighouse are a terrific band (even without
you Jeremy!) and in terms of what they do without massive sponsorship
deals serve as a useful reminder that cash injections from sponsors
aren't essential for success at the top level.  (I know how tough
that can be from my experience at Rothwell).   And what success!
Great news for most of us there.   On the day I had YBS ahead but
Brighouse won - end of story.

David