Re: Own choice contests

> Songs for BL.  Controversial piece, I know, but would it be such a brave
> choice for a reasonable band who would certainly benefit from playing it,
if
> they hadn't already done so?

Benefit from playing it? Get a grip! The only benefit is to forget it ever
happened!

Monkey, my friend, that is a very narrow opinion.  (I'll explain later in
message)

> The New Jerusalem.  Is this really only ever going to be Grimethorpe's
> piece?.  Used a year or two later at the Mineworkers, but again, has been
> avoided like the plague at own choice!!!

I wonder why????????

Well, go on, enlighten me

> Energy.  I know wasn't written specifically for that years contest, but
I've
> never heard it before or since.

Again - wonder why?????

Ditto!!! (see New Jerusalem)

> English Heritage.  A great piece, but why should it be the only one of the
> ten that been used to any great extent.  (BTW, the start of the middle
> movement, am I the only one who thinks George Lloyd was watching an
episode
> of 'Blackadder' when he was writing it!!).

Maybe because it is a good piece of music?

I fully agree, but you can't tell me it was the only decent piece set in 10
years!!!! (isn't it that it is actually, probably, the easist?)

> What's the story?

What's the story? What medication are you on more like!

A well thought out and intelligent response, in the finest (recent!)
traditions of the list, thanks.

It strikes me that original writing for BB is about 50 years behind it's
orchestral counterpart.  When we do get a piece like the Elgar Howarth,
everyone runs a mile.  If 'Songs for BL' had been written for orchestra it
would have been dated 1920's/30's.  You can't even argue that the orchestral
movement is more proffesionally orientated, amateur orchestras play
contemporary works that would make BL sound like 'Un vie de matelot'.

Adrian Dalton
BBb (Hepworth and Hudds Uni Band)