Re: Anthony Spurgin

In the Message regarding "Re: Anthony Spurgin" dated 03 Jul 98, brassman  <brass
man@xxxxxxxxxxx> said that ...
> Andy,,,,,
> Could you tell us more about Anthony and other music he has written?  "Deux
> Grotesques" has been one of my all time favorites since I was a kid.   I
> have an old LP from about 1959 with CWS Manchester (Alex Mortimer/Derek
> Garside) playing it.
> Does the piece get played very often in England? Thank you for notifying
> the list.

Tony wrote and arranged quite a few pieces over the years, one we always
used to play was a thing called "Vodka" and more recently, "Sylvia" - the
latter was a tune hummed to him by a non musician which Tony then arranged.
He also arranged Jamaican Rhumba for BB.

I remember the recording of Deux Grotesques - I don't know how often it's
played these days, we used to do it quite a lot (along with his other
works) whenever there was a possibility of getting his name on a PRS
return!

Other Spurgin gems include: Blue Sombrero & Break for Horns.

Tony was the conductor of the Burwash Band (East Sussex, UK) for a number
of years and assistant conductor of Sussex Brass. Whilst he was a super
writer & arranger, he would have been the first to admit his playing skills
on the Tenor Horn were not as good - he was though a fine pianist and ran
his own trio for many years.

 =A0=A0  Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk