Re: Powder Puffs - was mouthpiece plating - Humphrey Haynes

-----Original Message-----
From: Humphrey Haynes <hhaynes%schubert@xxxxxxxxx>
To: rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, July 03, 1998 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: Powder Puffs - was mouthpiece plating

>TiBar,
>
>Your informative mail left me hanging on a thread.
>
>Firstly, by lacquer, do you mean the frosting on some instruments which
give
>them a matt finish?

>From the horses (mares?) mouth. The first instrument was an Imperial with
matt finish and the effect was the same as you reported. The matt came off
with the grime. Solution -  hand the instrument on to a junior player. (We
are keeping a close eye on him in case he comes down with the plague.)

The second instrument is a ?? (t'horn players!) and is polished with a
covering laquer. The laquer is blistering and going black underneath the
laquer. The end result may be a black instrument like some of the
Yamaha/Jupiter range. To get the black off you would have to destroy the
laquer.

It would be interesting to have the whole instrument powder coated and see
what effect it would have.

TiBaR
Bairnsdale or the Bush