Re: Where do I start? ( an introductory message..)

Ken Baddley wrote:

> I'm new to the list,

Welcome!

> I play Ophicleide< ....and Keyed Bugle

Interesting choice!

>I don't play either well, and I'm self-taught, apart from a few
> bugle sessions with Steve Hollamby a couple of summers ago, and a copy of
> Ralph Dudgeon's Keyed Bugle Tutor

Well you've got enthusiasm and determination, so you're half way there!

> What instrument might I play in order to complement my Keyed Bugle
playing?
> is the Flugel Horn a good choice, given that there are less of them than,
say,
> cornets?.

You're right, there is only one in a band!  The flugel part offers the
player a wealth of music-making and is well suited for those starlets of
the brass-band fraternity who want the best of every world - solos, melody,
harmony, doubling up and 'filling'.

:-))) In fact, IMHO, I would go as far as to say that is THE most important
instrument in the band, really making a brass band what we have all dreamed
it would be ....... funnily enough, I play flugel myself, and am completely
bias as to its importance!  :-))))

I have got fantastic enjoyment from playing the flugel and would be hard
pushed to say anything against it.  However, (and being serious now) I'm
not sure if it is the best instrument to start on - it doesn't offer a new
player much of a safety net, as there isn't a 'section' of others to learn
from, you'd be rather exposed at first which may not be the most positive
move for building up your confidence, and as there are quite a few solo
passages for flugel you may need some ground work behind you first.  So,
maybe a Bb cornet would be a better starting block - you've got three
sections to work through, with lots of players to assist!

> I'm told that the nearest modern mouthpiece to an Ophicleide mouthpiece
is a
> Bass trombone one.

I know of a guy (Tony George) who plays with Redbridge Brass (championship
band in London) who is a professor of the Ophicleide up at the Royal
Northern School of Music (I think).  He was originally playing Eb bass with
Redbridge, but then he asked to play Baritone as he felt it was the closest
instrument in the brass band using a mouthpiece equivalent to the
Ophicliede.  As I have no great knowledge of either instrument, I can't
comment on the accuracy of this comparison (..... just thought it might be
a useful bit of info! :-)

 .... in the end, it really depends on which of your two present
instruments you sway towards .... with a cornet you're nearer to the the
keyed bugle (cornet/flugel mouthpieces aren't that far apart in size), and
with a bass trombone or baritone, you're moving towards complementing the
Ophicleide - it seems to me that the world is your oyster!

> Finally, do brass bands accept *mature* absolute beginners, ( I need to
learn
> from scratch, really..... )

I think most bands are happy to help anyone who is enthusiastic to learn,
and lots have a training band.  Admittedly, most of the training bands tend
to be youth bands, but I'm sure people of all ages would be welcome.
Joining a training band is a great way to learn as you would be amongst
lots of other newcomers and the music would help to improve you rather than
overwhelm you.  It would also be worth getting a teacher for private
lessons, to ensure you don't get any 'bad' playing habits through trying
too hard/lack of playing knowledge.

> would I be able to find a band within striking
> distance of Colchester, when I move there in the near future?

There is a brass band in Colchester itself - I'm not sure what section
they're in, but Bob Howard (previously of the Clacton-On-Sea Championship
section band) conducts them.  I'm pretty sure they've got a youth band too
..... but don't quote me!  If you're interested, feel free to email me
privately and I'll try and get hold of some more information for you.

> Apologies for the lengthy mailing..

Not at all, it's great to see that new players are still coming along!!

CLAIR TOMALIN
Flugel, Promotions Manager
KM Gillingham Band, Kent
c.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx