Re: Own choice contests

Can't believe how long the thread, mostly from David Lancaster and I,
has become. I still believe that David and I are not in fundamental
disagreement. We both enjoy playing, conducting and listening to good
music. Obviously our tastes as to what constitutes good music are not
totally similar. What a dull world it would be if we all thought the
same.
Definitely agree that Ed Gregson's Laudate Dominum is an excellent piece
of music, reasonably challenging but eminently playable by any band that
is worth listening to without a brutal amount of rehearsal. There are
actually a number of other Salvation Army selections which also fall
into that category, probably because they must write for a diverse group
of bands without the necessity of contesting. My Strength, My Tower and
Call of the Righteous come to mind. Again, reasonably challenging, well
written and appealing to a diverse, not just SA audience.
David, you still have not made me want to broaden my admittedly limited
exposure to the top test pieces but i have enjoyed the discussion.
The Hardraw Scar Contest where we met struck me as a quintessential and
unique Yorkshire experience not necesarily transferable very far from
home. We all enjoyed our visit though and want to come back and spend
more time in Yorkshire where my father was born. Maybe if I bring my
mouthpiece you can dig me up a horn for a Harrogate practice.
Regards to David and all contesting enthusiasts.
Dave Buckley.