Re: Where do I start? ( an introductory message..)

In message <2673640b.35a21d33@xxxxxxx>, KenBaddley@xxxxxxx writes
>I'm new to the list, and I'd be very grateful for suggestions as to where I
>should start, (as a forty-nine year-old with no brass-band experience)
>including advice as to which instrument I might take up.
>
>I do play a very (very) little on brass instruments, as I'm involved in West
>Gallery music, though I mostly have to sing ( due to lack of tenors).
>
>I play Ophicleide (in C) and Keyed Bugle ( in C, as I can't even begin to play
>with the Bb crook in place and transpose at sight, though the tone is much
>better in Bb); I don't play either well, and I'm self-taught, apart from a few
>bugle sessions with Steve Hollamby a couple of summers ago, and a copy of
>Ralph Dudgeon's Keyed Bugle Tutor) so, with those instruments in mind, I'd
>like to ask:
>
>What instrument might I play in order to complement my Keyed Bugle playing? As
>regards similarity, the Flugel Horn is the nearest in tone to the Keyed Bugle,
>and most of the few KB players that I know using a flugel mouthpiece, but is
>the Flugel Horn a good choice, given that there are less of them than, say,
>cornets?.

if you wanted to play in a band as soon as possible then there will
probably be more openings on a cornet.

>I'm told that the nearest modern mouthpiece to an Ophicleide mouthpiece is a
>Bass trombone one. What is the scope as regards bass trombone? Is it actually
>a beginner's instrument?
>
>Finally, do brass bands accept *mature* absolute beginners, ( I need to learn
>from scratch, really..... ) and would I be able to find a band within striking
>distance of Colchester, when I move there in the near future?

I took up playing at the age of 40, at the time I was playing piano and
clarinet - I got roped in when I took my son along to learn cornet. They
let me play 3rd cornet for a few months and then on the grounds that I
had an estate car put me onto BBb Bass.
Quite a few of the other players in our band have a similar story to
tell. To the best of my knowledge the other BBb bass player, one of our
EEb basses, 2nd trombone,and 2nd baritone all took up playing brass
instruments at a mature age, past 50 in one case.
A good tip may be to approach a non contesting band as mine (Loxley
Silver Band) is. I believe that they are more relaxed about the standard
of players than contesting bands although a commitment to the band is
required
>Apologies for the lengthy mailing..

Not at all. I wish you the same enjoyment that brass banding gives me.
>Regards
>
>Ken Baddley
>

>--

Hilary Mateer