Australian Brass

Interesting stuff from Darrall Cutting about the Australian Brass.  Mac
Carter, one of the two original MD's of Australian Brass was MD of our
band for several years in the early 80's and one of the finest musicians
I've heard or played under.  He died a year or so ago in Brisbane sadly.

I've never understood why Australia has been so slow in getting the
concept of a national band up and running. My early years in NZ were
full of memories of the various NZ National Bands under such celebrities
as KGL Smith (father of Ken Smith), Elgar Clayton, Norman Goffin and
others.

All our youthful efforts were spent trying to break in to the next band,
whenever that might be.  In recent times they were 1953, 1962, 1965 (5
months across America), 1967 (I nearly made that one), 1970, 1974 and
others since I've been in Australia.  I believe the high standard of NZ
bands over the last few decades has been built largely on the back of
such national bands because the players went back to their bands after a
tour so much improved and the whole movement benefited.  I think that
there were about 8 or 10 players from Onslow band (under Norm Goffin) in
the 1974 national band while I was with Onslow.  Boy were we glad when
they came back.

I hope the Australian Brass continues but they obviously need more
support from the band movement and supporters.

Roy Taylor
Principa Eupho
City of Greater Dandenong Band
Melbourne