Re: Where do I start? ( an introductory message..)

Hi Ken,

KenBaddley@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm new to the list,

Welcome!

> and I'd be very grateful for suggestions as to where I
> should start, (as a forty-nine year-old with no brass-band experience)
> including advice as to which instrument I might take up.
>
> I do play a very (very) little on brass instruments, as I'm involved in West
> Gallery music, though I mostly have to sing ( due to lack of tenors).

A short story to encourage you ... I taught beginning (as well as more
advanced trumpet.. sorry!) in a continuing education program for 2
years.  One of my beginning students was 68.  He had wanted all his life
to play brass and decided to "just do it"!  Both of us had the time of
our lives!  All of which is to say ... GO FOR IT!

> I play Ophicleide (in C) and Keyed Bugle ( in C, as I can't even begin to play
> with the Bb crook in place and transpose at sight, though the tone is much
> better in Bb); I don't play either well, and I'm self-taught,

you're not alone!

> apart from a few
> bugle sessions with Steve Hollamby a couple of summers ago, and a copy of
> Ralph Dudgeon's Keyed Bugle Tutor) so, with those instruments in mind, I'd
> like to ask:
>
> What instrument might I play in order to complement my Keyed Bugle playing? As
> regards similarity, the Flugel Horn is the nearest in tone to the Keyed Bugle,
> and most of the few KB players that I know using a flugel mouthpiece, but is
> the Flugel Horn a good choice, given that there are less of them than, say,
> cornets?.
>
> I'm told that the nearest modern mouthpiece to an Ophicleide mouthpiece is a
> Bass trombone one. What is the scope as regards bass trombone? Is it actually
> a beginner's instrument?

It seems you have a decision to make about which end of the band you
want to be part of!  Having played cornet, flugel, baritone, and Eb
bass, a little on soprano, and now tenor horn, I can safely say that
there are interesting challenges in all the sections.  I've never played
Bass Trombone, but IMHO it can't be beat for sheer range and sound.

> Finally, do brass bands accept *mature* absolute beginners, ( I need to learn
> from scratch, really..... ) and would I be able to find a band within striking
> distance of Colchester, when I move there in the near future?
>
> Apologies for the lengthy mailing..

Not at all ... happy blowing!

Lloyd Hiscock