RE: Where do I start? ( an introductory message..)

> In message <2673640b.35a21d33@xxxxxxx>,
> KenBaddley@xxxxxxx writes > >Finally, do brass bands
> accept *mature* absolute beginners, ( I need to learn
> >from scratch, really..... ) and would I be able to find
> a band within striking >distance of Colchester, when I
> move there in the near future?

Shame you don't live nearer to us - we'd welcome you with open arms.
I didn't start playing until I was in my 30s and then it was a
surprise to me. I had always wanted to play brass but, after a
conspicuously unsuccessful trial period at school after which the
trombone I had been given was forcibly removed from me, I had really
given up. However, I had started to take my lad to a local band where
he was playing cornet 'to help ease his asthma' and used to sit at
one side of the band room listening as it was quite a way from home.
One week the musical director came over and said "Don't you play?",
"no, says I, I once tried but had to give up"; "But you can read
music can't you "; "Yes"; "Right then - we'll see".
The next week a baritone was thrust into my hands and I was escorted
to a small damp room downstairs and instructed on how to play a C
scale - this took about 3 sessions before I could get it right every
time, then I was given about 45 minutes tuition a week and was sat in
the band for the rest of the time, playing odd notes here and there
whenever my reading and hand co-ordination happened to coincide with
their playing - usually on repeated phrases and I was one phrase
behind!
I'm still struggling 15 or 16 years later but now I do it from the
top Euphonium chair!

Best of luck - just go for it.

Ian
Ian W. Wright
Bandmaster and Euphonium player of the Hathersage Silver Band, Derbyshire, England
see our web page at:- www.geocities.com/hollywood/6067/home.html