Re: VAT

Peter wrote:

> On the same thread.........
>
> I am currently in the UK and may purchase an instrument to take back to
> Australia. Can anyone advise re tax situation?
>
> Do I claim the tax back at the airport here, in Oz or what?

You can get VAT back if the firm you bought from runs the Customs return
scheme. I have used this several times but the form must be filled out
with the shop before you leave the UK, it has to be certified by Customs
who have to see the item is actually being exported at the port of
departure. I can not get anything back if I do not do this! There is a
charge for admin at about 5UKP and there is a min purchase price of
about 115 UKP. WIth VAT at 17.5% it is always worth asking for a form.
Sorry, but I do not know if there are any exceptions.

Regards Keith Berry
Jersey, British Channel Isles, not part of UK, with no VAT.