Re: VAT

From: Rolf G Miezitis@NORTH on 15/07/98 08:31

Monkey,

what I did was this.

Bought the instrument in England WITHOUT VAT as it is an export. Then when
it comes into Australia, you don't have to pay an import duty (no duty on
Brass or Woodwind instruments) then you should pay the Australian sales tax
(about 20%), but when I bought mine, they seemed to forget this for some
reason (he he) so I ended up with an instrument for half the retail cost of
buying it in Australia.

I was told this would have been the cheapest way to do it anyway, because
of the difference in taxing rates and the fact that the tax dept. would
probably charge you tax on it even if you had bought it with VAT.

(name withheld by the tax department) :-)