Re: Joy Webb

Joy is a Brit and to the best of my knowledge is still around in the UK.
She is actually most famous in SA circles for forming the Joy Strings in
the 60's, an SA pop group and she wrote a lot of their stuff. They got a
really big play at the time, BBC, clubs etc but did not endear
themselves to those of us in SA bands. I guess we were jealous of the
attention they were getting if the truth be told. If you can get a hold
of it, the BBC several years ago did a radio show in which they
interviewed a number of professional musicians who had had their start
in the SA, including Don Lusher, Denis Wick and others. On the same show
they talked to a couple of officers who were original members of the Joy
Strings about its formation. I think his name is Peter Dalziel and I
can't remember his wife's first name. Actually very distanrly related to
me by marriage. They talk about how well they were received when they
started even though Joy had only taught them 3 chords on the guitar and
1 or 2 songs. Joy had to quickly write more material and teach them
another chord. Most of her material is in the same simple popsy vein as
Share my Yoke but very accessible. No test pieces have yet been based on
her songs.
Regards, Dave.