The Besson Sound

I must admit that after 35 years of playing Bessons (and thinking thats
all you Brits would ever consider), my eyes have been opened by the
influx of newer quality instruments.  My only concern is the sound they
produce.  I for instance surrendered my struggle with the Eb Tenor Horn
after being offered a great deal on a Yamaha 602S.  It was a delighful
instrument to play.  The intonation was superb and playability was much
easier.  Yes I was practicing an hour a day.   But it has a large
throat and doesn't ring like a Sovereign.   For my youth band I have
recently purchased 2 YCR2330s as a student model for $400 US each.  This
instrument is far and away the best student model instrument on the
market.  But it has a tendency to ring before a Sovereign would.
Recent conversation about the Besson Flugel reflects the same.  I played
a Boosey Sovereign Flugel for 20 years.  It was a fine instrument then,
I still own it and its got A SOUND (when combined with a Wick 2 or 4)
that nothing can touch.   The Besson Sovereign?  How are you suppose to
hold the thing withing cutting off a finger if you decide to use those
awkward triggers?  My suggestion again, the Yamaha.   Eb Soprano?
Nobody here even considers Besson.  Trombone?  Haven't seen one here
outside of those Bossey is dumping for promotion in 40 years!  What we
do see is kids walking the streets with maroon & gold clarinet cases
labeled Besson.  Is it the end of an era?

Sorry for rambling a bit, but thought I might take the emphasis off of
VATs and mouthpieces for a change.

John Aren