Whistling in the Wind

Hi all

This is slightly off topic, so advance apologies, but a colleague has
just handed me a review of Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest effort
entitled 'Whistle Down the Wind' (borrowed from the 1961
Bryan Forbes film) and it is possibly the worst slating I've
ever read.

Since bandrooms and bandstands will no doubt soon be reverberating to
the sounds of this masterpiece I really wanted to share it with
you...

The reviewer for the Telegraph (which I don't normally read, you
understand) is one Susannah Clapp, to whom all writs should
be served.  The first paragraph reads:

"Whistle Down the Wind is terrible.  It is not simply that the music
is a stale mishmash with its theme tune a weedy whisper.  It is not
merely that the lyrics are entirely pedestrian.  It is not only that
it unleashes onto the stage as a main part of the action a horde of
ingratiating children.  Worst of all is the self-regard,
masquerading as piety, the sugariness pretending to be compassion.
The centre of this show is rotten and it is smug".

One for the summer programme, perhaps, or that entertainments contest
in the autumn...

David