Anthony Spurgin

I attended the funeral last week of Tony Spurgin - the service was attended
by Sussex Brass (Hastings) who played one of his lighter pieces, Vodka
during the service. A tribute was read by his long standing friend, Tim Lord
(who first introduced my to Tony some 30 + years ago).
After his death, a number of unpublished manuscripts were found and one of
them, a band arrangement of the hymn Lobe Den Herren, was used for the final
hymn at the service.

I was disappointed to note that the British Bandsman hadn't picked up on
this news - I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that there's no better
place to hear the news than this list. Perhaps Peter, if you read this list
(as any self respecting brass band journalist ought to) then you will put
this right in the next available edition.
Tony didn't write for or work with top section bands - maybe if he had, the
band press would have feted him more often.

Andy Wooler