Band Press (was Anthony Spurgin) Long!

Angela forwarded on my note regarding Tony Spurgin to the British
Bandsman,their response is below.
I have to say the fact that it took a list member,forwarding it on, to
generate a response does back up the
 point I made about journalists reading this list i.e. looking for news,
not just waiting for it to appear through
 their mailbox.
At the time of writing my original note, I was disappointed by the low turn
out for this service - most of
 those attending were people who knew him locally. Surely it doesn't take
much to add a couple of lines noting  late news - the BB managed it for
Walter Hargreaves & others recently.

I'm sure both editors of the band press would have different views as to
what they consider to be news - however, to start a discussion, here's some
of what I consider it to be:
Things people need to know
Things people may wish know
Things people themselves wish to know

For all of these, it should be timely and accurate.

The one thing the Brass Band list has given me over the last year or so is
information, opinions and news - always timely (the very nature of the web
gives us that) and genuine opinions from real grass roots band people. I
may not always agree with what's on there (and I'm sure others won't always
agree with me!) but it is at least what people actually think.

After the BB put the article in headed "Internet War", I sent a response to
them by email. Their article came some 3 weeks after we on the list had
finished that particular thread! Suffice to say, it was not published and
received no response. The article was neither timely nor accurate (it was
hardly a war compared to some of our discussions!).

If I suggested that some of the news in the BB is biased in anyway, then
perhaps it comes of having been a
regular  reader for 25 years or so. One of my banding friends made the same
comment a few years ago -
we  presented him with a special edition made up solely of BB news article
about 3 specific people, I
 cornet,  2 euph (no prizes for guessing who!). It didn't take  many issues
to compile it! (and we didn't
 include adverts!)

Andy Wooler
andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx