Bandsmen behaviour at European champs.

John Todd wrote:
> BBW should have asked Gordon Simpson to compile a rankings table, based
on the
> PGA tables. Drinking contests could be ranked depending on the number of
beer
> bellies at the contest, cross referenced to the number of bars per venue
and
> price per pint.

Good idea, although most bands would tie for 1st place considering the
amount of drinking going on at contests these days!!

Also, Alec Gallagher wrote:
> > Brass Band World magazine is a bit better, but even it shies away from
the
> > hard stories people want to read.  The report some time ago on McCann's
> > departure from Britannia left me none the wiser on the real reasons
behind
> > his going.  And as I mentioned in an earlier posting after the European
> > Championships, I had to rely on this list to discover what BBW meant
when it
> > talked coyly of unacceptable behaviour on the part of certain bandsmen.
 It
> > was, apparently, a drinking contest.  So what?  Why not print it?

We don't know what the incident(s) actually were that they refer to, it
would be nice to know.  Nobody has said on the list what the unacceptable
behaviour was, I just said there had been a drinking contest, I didn't link
the two together.  Maybe you put 2 and 2 together, and maybe you're right.

There's no doubting that we (at B&R) do like to have fun, and do celebrate
a win perhaps more noisily than other bands.  Even before the results came
out, we were having singing contests with members of the other continental
bands (from Belgium I think), you know the sort of thing - who can sing the
loudest over the top of each other, then had the drinking contest with
Point Of Air band lads, then celebrated the result in a boisterous way.

A point to consider is that Point of Air band had a much earlier draw than
B&R and therefore had a head start of quite a few beers on us, and at the
end of the drinking contest, 2 of their players ended up flat on their
backs, one with his trousers round their ankles (don't ask me why - he just
did it !!).  One had to be carried out after he tried to start a fight with
2 of our players, whom he accused of cheating during the drinking contest.

So it could be the singing contest (I doubt it), the drinking contest
(probably not), our celebration (I doubt it) or the 2 lads on the floor
half dressed (probably) that they refer to.

There may have been other incidents that I didn't see, it wouldn't have
been the continental bandsmen though, as they were very quiet all day, a
bit boring perhaps ?

Cheers,
Martin.