Whit Friday Contests

Dear All,

I recently posted the following on the Notice board and only had a small
number of replies (Many thanks to all who did), So I wonder what are your
thoughts on this ?

As we have just recently gone through the Whit Friday Contest an idea was
brought up in the pub for the year 2000.
The idea is that all the current favoured Whit Friday contest marches such
as
Knight Templar, Ravenswood, The Contester etc. should be banned so that a
more varied selection of Marches could be heard. As I dont know about you,
but when you have heard several of these marches for the seventh or eighth
time usually with several of these performance back to back,  you get rather
bored
Also the idea was raised that there should be a competition held prior to
the
contest for new marches to be written with special emphasis on pieces
written by younger composers.
I would like to hear all your views on this.

David Sheedy
Blackley Band

(See Kevin I Can get it right !!!)