Band Press

Well, true to PW's word, the BB today published a note regarding Tony
Spurgin. However, I rest my case as this obituary was written not by BB
staff reporters but by Tim Lord who obviously sent it in. (I can check that
with Tim btw).
One of the things to consider about a mailing list is that it's not unlike a
discussion in a pub - people talk and generally say what they are feeling -
the "word on the street" as you could describe it. Within hours of sending
my original note in, 2 others added similar views and one more confirmed he
didn't bother to buy the BB anymore.
I would respectfully suggest to the band press that, unlike some
politicians, they should listen once in a while to those "words on the
street" and maybe they'll discover a thing or 2 possibly including some
news!

I for one find it refreshing to be part of a mailing list where status is
not an issue. No grovelling articles such as how either Nick or Bob "passed
wind" over 3 complete octaves and how musical it was! No reviews of
records/new music that just happens to be advertised in this weeks issue.etc

I for one would like to see an  "Ian Hislop" of the band world emerging (for
the uninitiated, he's the editor of a Uk mag called "Private Eye"- had more
libel/slander writs against him than I've played bum notes!) - perhaps
there's a role for the Brass Band Police here somewhere! (is he/she still
around? I've not been asked to assist with enquiries of late!)

Andy Wooler