Re: Bass Clef Arrangements

I'd like to take a crack at answering this question regarding the exclusive use of treble clef in the Brass
Band.

1st,  I believe the treble clef was used in making brass bandsmen (opps! people) more versatile in getting the
parts covered.  That is because the treble clef part is "transposed" to the instrument.  Whether you are an Eb
Tenor Horn player or a Bb Baritone, you finger the 1st line Eb 2nd and 3rd valve.  So now Colin can put away
the band's new Eb Soprano Cornet and help out the solos without the skill of transposition.

2nd,  (I'll try to articulate the thoughts of Bill Himes on this one and send him a blind copy just in case I
didn't say it right.)  William Himes calls treble clef a superior clef in that it attempts to bring the range
of the intended instrument to somewhere close within the 5 lines of the staff.  As a life long brass bandsman,
nothing appears crazier to me than looking at some of the obscene ledger lines that a 5th grade clarinet
player is obliged to learn. Again, treble clef is considered by some to be superior in that it is tailored to
the instrument and the musician.

3rd, I'm assuming the Bass Trombone was left out of the loop because of the plumming variations used to play
the part.  In my 40 years, I've seen the part covered by Bb, F, and G instruments with a variety of triggers
from there.

HOWEVER!  I do think that in the 90s with Finalle, MIDI and scanners all that amounts to a bunch of bunk and
does little more than exclude most American low brass players from the most exciting opportunities available
in the amatuer music scene.

I commend The Salvation Army Eastern Series for publishing both their full score and sextette journals in both
clefs and including the F Horn parts as well.  This allows we who  find ourselves in smaller communities to
introduce fine musicians to the movement without the demands of speaking a new language.  I should also
include the Central Territory in on that inclusive move with their Hallelujah Chorus journal.