Re: Bass Clef Arrangements

On 24 Jul, John & Nancy Heydt <jheydt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sure I know the answer already but thought I'd ask just out of
> curiosity.   When you purchase an arrangement for a brass band I assume
> that all the parts are written in treble clef?   Being strictly a bass
> clef euph player I am planning on learning treble clef.   Don't really
> know why I'm going to do this since there are no nearby brass bands in
> central New Jersey but just in case.....

It's useful to know Bb treble, even in NJ.

> Another thing I have pondered and really don't know whether there is a
> short answer to this is why just treble clef???   Did arrangements
> strictly in treble clef precede historically arrangements in both treble
> and bass clefs.

Treble clef is a legacy of Adolphe Sax. Brass band trombones were once
written in tenor clef. The bass trombone is the only instrument (besides
percussion) that still uses bass clef.

My brass band charts have parts both in treble and bass, Eb and F horns.
Available from Bernel Music Ltd. USA. <bernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER