Re: Bass Clef Arrangements

In message <000401bdb807$ad129540$030c93c3@default>, Steven Booth
<sbooth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>I believe the reasons are historical. When the Brass Band was a means of
>music making for "simple factory workers" the music was all in treble to
>make switching between instruments easier, music easier to learn & teach,
>and to make the band as a whole easier to manage.
>
>I have no idea why the Bass trombone escaped this.

It's probably because bass trom parts in treble clef have so many ledger
lines they resemble upside down telegraph poles!   The Eb and Bb bass
ranges all fit neatly onto the stave.  I know this, because some
publishers, such as Obrasso have started sending bass trom parts in bass
clef and in treble clef...many's the time I've nearly had a heart attack
before realising I'd put the treble clef part on the stand by mistake.

Best wishes,
Tim
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.
http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/sov/sov.htm