Re: Trombone Hater ????

In a message dated 28/7/98 22:22:47 GMT, you write:

<<
 Having been at practice last night and played through a couple of potential
 test pieces I have come to the opinion that a certain writer is a Trombone
 Hater.  Mr S***** seems to always give a really awkward rythem and entry
 point to the 'bone section in a large percentage of his test pieces from
 example Music For a Festival and Celtic Suite to name just two. >>

I don't know about that.  but a lot of composers have no perseption on how
long it takes to incert / change mutes when you play a trombone.

The trombone section at Riddings usually find a section in most test pieces
with what amounts to a near (if not) impossible mute change etc.

We also come accross this problem with cornets although its not as difficult
to hols the instrument with one hand as a trombone.  The piece hollywood by
goff richards also require the repeted removal and incertion of mutes for the
horns for stopping effects.  It worked realy well but proved quite difficult
for the ladies in the band with shorter arms.  It also was IMO (nearly)
impossible for the horns to execute the final mute extraction and then
negotiate the florid semiquaver passage in the next bar (crotchet = 176).

So come on composers just a little thought and the muting situation would not
arrise.

John Davis
MD The Riddings Band
Hon Sec Number 3 area NABBC