Re: Salvation Army music

Dave.......After reading those idiotic comments about SA music from another
list member, I was wondering just how I would address this.  Thank you for
your well thought out reply.  It's evident that he has a very narrow
approach to his music making and knows nothing at all about the outstanding
SA repertoire.  As you know, I have played and been involved in brass bands
in and out of the SA all my life and for my money SA marches, for the most
part, far surpass contest marches.  Salvation Army bands have a long
history of actually "marching" whereas contesting bands seldom did. It's
unfortunate at times, that this list can be misled by uninformed and
uneducated individuals who just want to see their name in print.  It
angered me to see such a classless remark about well written music. Dave, I
too needed to get this off my chest.

For those of you who do not know the SA march repertoire, here is a short
list of great street marches published by the SA.  Notice that the
composers are from all over the world. Original contesting marches are
mostly from the UK.

Star Lake   (Eric Ball - UK )
Neath The Flag  (George Marshall - UK )
Mighty To Save  (George Marshall - UK )
Motondo  (Donald Osgood - UK )
Hadleigh Camp  (Ray Steadman - UK )
Silver Star  (Ray Steadman-Allen - UK )
Crown Of Conquest (Ray Steadman-Allen - UK )
Scarlett Jersey  (Ray Steadman-Allen - UK )
Wisbech Citadel  (Albert Gay - UK )
Spirit Of Joy  (Harry Rive - UK )
Amsterdam Congress  (Charles Skinner - UK )
Victors Acclaim  (Bramwell Coles - UK )
Rosehill  (Albert Jakeway - UK )
To Regions Fair  (Norman Bearcroft - UK )
Invincible Army  (Erik Leidzen - USA )
In The King's Service  (Erik Liedzen - USA )
Stockholm I  Erik Leidzen - USA )
Rouseau  (Ray Ogg - USA )
Minneapolis IV  (Emil Soderstrom - USA )
Fighting For The Lord  (Emil Soderstrom - USA )
Army Of God  (Emil Soderstrom - USA )
Montreal Citadel  (Norman Audoire - Canada )
Anthem Of The Free  (Dean Goffin - NZ )
Red Shield  (Harry Goffin - NZ  )
Petersham  (Arthur Gullidge - Australia )
Petone  (Ray Cresswell - Australia  )
Vanguard  (Erik Silverberg - Sweden )

Mark Freeh
(NYC)