RE: Moving a player against their wishes

Dear Claire,

You have a Sovereign horn at 1500pounds ... well try a little over $5000
Australian dollars over here - which is what mine cost!!  So that might
tell you just how much I love playing tenor horn too.

I was actually getting aside from the fact of moving instruments.  What
really disturbed me about your email was that if you were moved from the
solo horn spot, that you would leave the band.  I just didn't find that
that was in the spirit of banding.

I love playing in the band I'm in so much that I travel nearly an hour
to practice and an hour home, which makes for a late night for me.  If I
got moved to 1st or 2nd horn because some great player came in, it would
only mean that our section got better, and our performances on each part
could only rise to meet the standard.  I just couldn't see how that
would make anyone want to leave a band, that's all - not if you truly
loved your band.

And I guess that's what it comes down to - some of us are truly blessed
that we play in great bands.  They might not be the winners, but the
spirit, the camaraderie, the overall friendliness and mateship in our
bands, make us want to stay with them, no matter what.  Maybe I'm just
lucky!

I think it's great that you love playing tenor horn so much, just
wonderful.  But just don't get hooked on "a seat" in the section so
much, that you forget you're part of the overall ensemble of the section
- every part is as equally important.

Anyway thanks for writing.

Carol
(one of the Hornettes!!)