RE: Enfield & JJB - a limited review

Clair Tomalin wrote

> In fairness to Mr McCann, he had just completed a full day's adjudicating
> of the contest, had very little time to rehearse before the
> concert and, to
> be honest whatever/however he performed, it was going to be nigh
> impossible
> for him to 'compete' with the phenomenal rendition of 'Golden Slippers' by
> David Doors (spelling again?) of the Enfield Band.

Absolutely. I was at that concert too and had to admit that although I am a
McCann fan, there was no question which cornet soloist stole the show. I was
so impressed (blown away more like!!!!) with David Daws' playing that I
sought out a CD of his after the concert with the 'Golden Slippers' solo on
it and when I listen to it now I am still in awe. The solo demands the full
technical repetoire of a cornet player from slow lip glisses to fast triple
tonguing and sweetness of sound, all of which David Daws performed superbly.
It was worth going to the concert just to hear that solo alone (IMHO).

JJB were on good form - not only for the novelty act of Mr. Lear's carnival
but also for the performance of Gilbert Vinter's "Variations On a ninth"
which demands all principal players to be on top form for the cadenzas which
run around the band early on in the piece.

It was interesting to watch the face of the JJB principal cornet whilst
David Daws was playing!!!!!!

A good night out - only a tenner - and I was pleasantly surprised by the
music that Enfield played - and the quality of the playing!!!!!

Hearing cornet playing like that kind of makes me wonder why I

Alistair Richards
Deputy Principal Cornet
Ellesborough Silver Band