Re: test piece tempi and books on scoring for brass band

brassman wrote:
->Also, this is for Sheibs.  With all due respect Tom, I disagree with you
>about the Ray Steadman-Allen book on scoring for brass band.  It leaves a a
>lot to be desired as does the Denis Wright book.  It's time for a new book
>on scoring for brass bands.  I think a book on the order of Henry Mancini's
>"Sounds and Scores" would be the right format. What do you think Adrian?
>
>Mark Freeh
>(N.Y. City)

Whilst I agree with your opinions, Mark and David, regarding the R S-A and
Wright books on brass band scoring, I think that my suggestion is better
than the alternative at present - namely nothing at all, as you both
indicated.  Don was looking for something for someone new to brass band
arranging, and either of these books would give someone an idea of what
scoring for the brass band entails.

Perhaps something comparable to "An Invitation to Band Arranging" by Erik
Leidzen (for wind bands - now out of print) is what is needed?
Any suggestions on who to commission for this task?

Tom S.
New York Staff Band