Re: Youth Bands

Bruce

I conduct Elland Silver Youth Band, we is attached to the Elland Silver
Band. We contest with both bands, and some of the Youth band players also
play in the senior band.

Both bands are run by the same Secretary and Treasurer etc. Neither of the
bands have a committee as such, they make decisions collectively, and any
fund raising etc, is usually done by parents and members volunteering to
organise events.

In the past committees have failed, as not everyone can be 100% committed
to events. This way things get done because people want to do things.

You may like to contact Dobcross Youth Band, they have competed in contests
and I think they are now graded as a 3rd Section band.

For us at Elland things work quite well. The youth band is a feeder band to
the senior band. The Youth band tries to give children an opportunity to
take part in contests and events within the brass band environment. We also
have social events and make it enjoyable for the kids. Although we do
contests we haven't done one yet where the children have to learn a "test
peice". I prefer entertainment contests where you have more choice and can
let the children decide on what they want to play.

I think that once they join a seniour band sometimes contests can get in
the way of the lighter side of music and it gets a little too serious.

If you require any other info. please e-mail me privately at
sam.harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sam