Re: test piece tempi

On the subject of English/Italian score markings, why do so many top class
composers feel the need to get out their musical theasaurus for one term in
each piece they write. It always appears that there will be one term that
no one has ever heard of, and sometimes you have to revert to an Italian
dictionary rather than a musical one to find the meaning.

On of my favourites was Raddolcente (sp?) which we interpreted as "playing
with one hundred raddishes"

It sometimes trips up adjudicators as well. We had fieramente (from memory)
marked in Pageantry which the adjudicator on tape said "come on, firey!",
but according to the dictionary actually means "proudly" (hence our slight
reduction in tempo).

Rolf Miezitis