Re: Marketing UK Bands in the US

No Dave.......  Carnegie Hall was far from being full.  I was very much involved
in helping to get tickets out to people.  Carnegie Hall seats 2800.  There were
600 people in attendance. ... 300 of which were given free tickets. I gave out 150
of them myself. There would have been even less people there, had the N.Y Staff
Band not arrived after about the 3rd number on their way back from a week-end, I
think in Connecticut. Scheibs can substantiate this.

It had nothing to do with the name Black Dyke Mills.  The hall wanted them to
change the name at first because they thought it odd and the words had other
connotations in America.  They didn't change it of course, rightly so.

The reason there was NO crowd at Carnegie Hall, was that the concert was not
promoted properly. Boosey Hawkes were the promoters. One week before the concert,
I got a call from the Boosey rep asking me to help give out free tickets.  Even
Itzhak Perlman has to be promoted in N.Y City. It is not up to Carnegie Hall to
promote concerts. They just list them in the newspapers..

In the weeks that followed the concert, probably as many as a hundred brass
players told me they knew nothing about the concert.  The concert was excellent
for those that were there. They did make a mistake by choosing  to play a jazz
medley at the end.  New York, being the jazz capitol of the world, is like taking
coals to New Castle. There were many N.Y. "jazz" and "studio" brass players in the
audience. This is not just my opinion, I heard this from most everyone.  The band
was still superb.

As far as the report in Brass Band World, you have to take that up with the
reporter.  The facts were mostly false.  Even the master class at Juilliard had
only about fifty ( I counted them )  in attendance and about 15 or so were brass
band enthusiasts that just happened to get wind of it.

This report may not be popular with some people but let's be honest about it. We
blew it !  Hopefully if there is a next time, things will be different.  It's
always been the dream of some of us to have a band like Black Dyke Mills Band
visit New York City.  What a great opportunity it would have been to expose the
finest to the music community of New York.

Mark Freeh  (New York City)